Information for Teachers and Educators
Gable Hall School is dedicated to delivering high quality Careers, Education, Information, Advice, and Guidance (CEIAG) to inspire our students and empower them to make well-informed career choices. We are fully committed to achieving all eight Benchmarks outlined by the Gatsby Foundation.
Our school is devoted to supporting subject teachers in the development and integration of career-oriented learning opportunities within their curriculum plans. For more information, please consult our 'Careers in the Curriculum' document. Additionally, our shared drive contains an extensive collection of invaluable resources and websites tailored to each subject area, making it a valuable tool for both students and educators.
At Gable Hall School, we aspire for all subject areas to actively engage in the following initiatives:
Prominent Displays: Each subject features a prominent display that effectively illustrates the connection between subject learning and skill development with various career pathways. This visual representation will serve as a constant reminder for students of the real-world applications of their studies.
Business and Organisational Partnerships: We foster meaningful relationships with over 70 local businesses and organisations to create opportunities for students to gain insights into potential career paths. These partnerships can facilitate internships, mentorship, or guest speakers.
Alumni and External Speakers: We encourage alumni and external speakers to share their experiences and expertise with our students, whether through in-person visits or virtual sessions, allowing students to connect with real-world professionals.
Field Trips and Visits: When suitable, we organise educational visits to local businesses or organisations, providing students with firsthand exposure to workplace environments and practical applications of their subject knowledge.
Recorded Career Opportunities: We document all career-related learning opportunities within the schemes of learning to ensure that students have a clear record of the resources and experiences available to them.
Whole School 'Careers Days': Implement whole-school "Careers Days" during which teachers kick off their lessons with a careers-focused approach. This can involve discussions about their career journeys or the presentation of short films featuring professionals from diverse roles, illustrating how subject-specific skills are relevant in various careers.
Inclusive Approach: We tailor career-related guidance to meet the needs and interests of all students while actively challenging stereotypes related to gender and disability. Ensure that information and opportunities are inclusive and promote diversity in career choices.
By implementing these strategies, Gable Hall School aims to provide a well-rounded and inclusive approach to career education that equips students with the knowledge and skills they need to make informed and empowered career decisions.
Discover everything you need in order to provide good careers education to your students
- Apprenticeships | Learn About Apprenticeships And Find The Right One For You (ucas.com)
- National Apprenticeship Week Events
- Higher and Degree Vacancy Listing for 2023/24 Recruitment
Do you need help supporting potential NEET students?
THURROCK ON TRACK - A programme dedicated to helping young people achieve their career dreams.
Business and support organisations in Thurrock: Meet a range of local employers to learn about job opportunities and potential career paths available for you - Click Here
Careers advice and guidance activities ro support students with SEND - Expert advice and best practice suggestions on how to support your students with SEND in their career development - Click Here
- Useful Careers Websites and Resources for Parents, Staff and Students
- Useful Staff and Governors CEIAG Links and Resources
- Careers and Enterprise Company - Careers in the Curriculum
- Careers and Enterprise Company - State of the Nation 2017
- DfE - Careers strategy: making the most of everyone’s skills and talents
- DfE - Careers guidance and access for education and training providers
- CDI - Framework for careers, employability and enterprise education
- Barclays Life Skills - Embedding employability across the curriculum
- I think the careers programme is good, lots of opportunities for students to have meetings. The students know who they can talk to regarding careers and I know older years in particular have been having meetings to discuss their futures.
- The year 11 interview day has been extremely successful and the students I have spoken to have found that really helpful.
- In geography, we are in the process of organising some career focused events such as having a team from a GIS specialism coming in and speaking to year 11 geography.
- Furthermore, PowerPoints show careers linked to topics for all year groups and teachers are articulating what jobs can lead from a geography GCSE.
- Careers in Gable Hall has come on in leaps and bounds for our students.
- Year 11 have just had their Mock Interview Day which was a resounding success and a great experience for them. Nearly every student came out of their interview smiling and really pleased with themselves. The Interviewers, from all around Thurrock and Essex, were impressed with our students and will be here again next year. They also gave us some very useful tips which we can put into use next year.
- Year 10’s are being interviewed by our Thurrock Representative. Lots of trips out to places like DP World, Colleges, Universities and Youth Centres.
- 7s, 8’s and 9’s are all encouraged to log into KUDOS to answer some questions about themselves and then they are shown a list of jobs that they could do.
- I think it's a great day and great opportunity for students.
- Just saying from looking at the students, the boys turned out pretty well, most were in suit, tie etc... and looked very smart.