Steps to Success
The programme was created to give every student the best possible chance to achieve the equivalent of four levels progress and obtain five or more good passes at GCSE. We do this by reducing class sizes and offering additional teaching staff in the classroom for specific subjects which helps to engage students and reinforce the essential literacy skills they will require across the curriculum.
Steps students follow the same schemes of Learning for all subjects, but they are differentiated to suit the needs of our learners.
Steps to Success is a programme that has been tailored to suit the needs of students who might struggle in mixed-ability lessons. The class sizes are much smaller with a Co-Educator in all lessons to provide the best possible support which will, in turn, improve your child’s future results. The Steps lessons incorporate English, History and Geography which are all literacy based and depend on the same analytical skills that your child we learn in class from the same teacher. Emphasis is also placed on social and emotional wellbeing of students.
The Steps to Success Curriculum focuses on meeting our learners’ needs, which include:
- Consistency of approach
- Shared language of learning
- Improved literacy skills
- Improved social skills
- Improved organisational skills
How is Steps to Success different?
- Reducing the number of teachers.
- Reducing the number of room changes during learning time.
- Increase the literacy framework of support through which the other subjects are taught.
- Increasing the adult to student ratio by including the same Co-Educator for their lessons to help meet their needs.
- Increasing the availability of ICT during lessons.
- Interventions within and outside of lessons.
- Increasing the parental engagement of the pupils involved.
- Regular opportunities to share data and progress.
- Drop in sessions after each data drop to discuss progress.
- Parent Support sessions for other issues which may be causing barriers to learning.
All of our schemes of work are designed to enable students to effectively retain knowledge and apply it with increasing confidence to different contexts as they progress up the key stages.
Ms R. Bruton - Steps Lead
Miss L. Nancolas - Year 7
Miss F. Gard - Year 8
Mrs L. Hendy/Mrs Khadka - Year 9