Students learn to develop a range of skills which include; designing, making, analysing, problem solving and evaluating. The graphics workshop is well equipped, students have access to computers with a range of graphic software, plotters, a T-shirt press, Vacuum former and a 3D printer.

Over the last few years the graphics department has seen great success with students winning design competitions. Two GCSE Students won a branding competition and were given the opportunity to work with a local design company to develop their design for an ‘Opportunity Thurrock’ logo and one of our Key Stage three students won the region round of the national  ‘We made it competition’ by designing a new gadget. He was invited to attend an award ceremony in the House of Commons to celebrate his achievement and innovative design.

Key Stage 3

Over the three years spent in key stage 3, pupils study the subject area of design and technology, to help prepare them should they decide to opt for GCSE graphic products. Pupils will spend one half term each year building their graphic skills. Pupils cover  designing and making using the design cycle for guidance, including developing a design brief and specification, research skills, developing and modelling designs, planning and making their designs, and evaluating their end product. CAD and CAM is covered using 2D Design and associated machinery, and other graphic software packages.

Key Stage 4

GCSE AQA graphic products is offered to our current Yr 11 (2018) cohort.

This course specialises in Graphic Products. It builds upon knowledge and experience gained in the lower school. Designing, researching and evaluating the project takes a significant proportion of the normal curriculum time and is the main focus of the coursework folder.

Students will be expected to produce a high quality design portfolio on a task set by the exam board, which includes detailed drawings in both 2D and 3D including the use of CAD. They are also required to produce high quality 3D models, which will assess making skills. The portfolio and model together are worth 60% of the final mark. The other 40% is made up by external examination.

From 2017 onwards our ks4 students will opt for GCSE AQA Design and Technology 
The new GCSE places greater emphasis on understanding and applying iterative design processes. Students will use their creativity and imagination to design and make prototypes that solve real and relevant problems, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.

How it's assessed
Written exam: 2 hours
• 100 marks
• 50% of GCSE
Non-exam assessment (NEA): 30–35 hours approx
• 100 marks
• 50% of GCSE
Substantial design and make task
Assessment criteria:Identifying and investigating design possibilities
Producing a design brief and specification
Generating design ideas
Developing design ideas
Realising design ideas
Analysing & evaluating

In the spirit of the iterative design process, the above should be awarded holistically where they take place and not in a linear manner 
Contextual challenges to be released annually by AQA on 1 June in the year prior to the submission of the NEA 
Students will produce a prototype and a portfolio of evidence 
Work will be marked by teachers and moderated by AQA

KS4 Curriculum Map

KS4 Command Words

KS4 Vocabulary Sheet


Miss Mead
Mr Botha
Mr I Morgan

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now